Tuesday, 15 October 2013

On Shoots, Rebel Crews and Inspiration

If there's anything more important to highly stylised artist or creative individual, it's inspiration. When you're in the world of a subculture, especially that of Rockabilly/Retro and Pinup, it's tough to claim a unique substance int he community. It's not always what you got, but how you use it.

So if you're a retro, fashionable and creative person like myself (tutting my own horn, deal with it), you understand that inspiration can be difficult to come by.

One outlet I've picked up on is Pinterest, because I can keep isolated sections of what I'm looking for and refer back to them. So if you haven't checked out my pin boards for shoots already, head over!


Now, being a Creative Canadian, it's also quite difficult to acquire stylised clothes, shoes, shoot props etc. without having to buy online or suffer at an intense shipping cost. Though, don't fret, there are Canadian retailers to give us darlings a break! One in particular is Rosie The Rebel Boutique. They host an online store, and boast two boutiques in Canada. One in Toronto, another in Newfoundland (addresses at the bottom of the post!).

Now, now, I know Canadian retailers are typically not much more of a convenience, but trust me, RTR definitely is. Some clothing companies cost about $50 shipping from the US to Canada, but at Rosie's it's free shipping on orders over $50! Not only that, but they carry a darling selection and I don't think there's one item over $100 online.

Getting to my point: You're retro and glamorous, you're creative, you wan to feel inspired yet unique. I'm in the same boat, as I have access to shooting capabilities with dear Franny, though sometimes I get a little overwhelmed and need to sit down and consciously consider what I want to shoot. So, in need of original yet fitting to my personal style, I turn to my local retailers.

Rosie The Rebel carries brands I love like Hell Bunny, Heartbreaker, Lucky 13 etc. for the perfect prices.


All things I can afford on an indie-blogtographer's budget!
They also stock Lindy Bop dresses from the UK, and buying them here dodges a lot of shipping prices AND I can try the dresses on in store if I want to. I'm thinking of purchasing the Ophelia dress for my prom, actually, and it's gone straight into the Promsperation board on Pinterest.

Deco Dame
Frances and I want to do some very classic shoots but take a personal twist on them, of course. I've had in mind, admittedly, ever since I began watching Honey West, wanted to so a 60s pulpy sexy spy shoot, complete with Heartbreaker's Super Spy dress. It's the perfect silhouette, nay? I'm also very interested in shooting something nautical themed, though, with a different concept. The nautical theme gets thrown around too easily, but with the options from Hell Bunny at RTR, I can change it up from the navy boredom classic.
Take a look inside Rosie The Rebel's online boutique, and if you're in town, one of their two locations in Canada.
Online:
http://RosieTheRebel.com/

In-store Locations:
961 Bloor St. West ( at Ossington Subway Station), Toronto, ON 
254 Water Street, St. John’s, NL

If you like what you see, keep an eye for future shoots and prom posts! ;)

xo Courtney

No comments :

Post a Comment