Monday, 7 January 2013

Quantity + Quality: Varnish Review

So just before Christmas time I picked up some nail varnishes for myself. I've got to admit, I'm the kind of person who knows what my money can get me. I know when I need to spend more, and I know when I can save myself some cash. I prefer quantity and quality, always. So a little over a year ago I tried Ardene's nail varnish and I was genuinely surprised. I've paid about 4 times the price of one pot for varnish that works no better nor worse. So I tested again by picking up three new colours and a new location to see if the quality is somewhat universal. I got a semi-opaque shimmering gold and black, and an opaque red.


Onward for more photos and ~le review (More Under the Cut)
Click Any Photo to Enlarge



The left three are the new ones and the right two are the old ones.
My first selected colour, obviously LOL <3
My natural nail beds (ignore the unevenness, I've been too lazy file and trim properly) 

- Overall -
Colour - ★★★★★ (very vibrant but still a great classic red)
Opacity - ★★★½ (takes at least two coats to be completely opaque)
Lasting★★★ (takes three [two colour + one top coat works best] coats to prevent chipping in the first few days. Lasts chip-less about a week with three coats, longer with a top coat.)
Consistency and Smell★★★★★ (Just fine, not overpowering at all, minor scent. Consistency is perfect.)
Price★★★★★ ($3.50 CAN individually or 3 for $6.00 CAN. Couldn't get any better)

Drying★★★★★ (Just perfect time, not too long and not too quickly for painting.)

Overall - ★★★★½
I personally have no problem with two-coat, short-lasting nail varnish because it's quicker to apply and it means I can change my colour more frequently a lot roe easily. Love is an understatement <3 The price is fantastic, making replacements super easy and stress-free. The colour (and available colours) are spectacular, anything from pastels to neons to glitter and shimmer. The opacity was pretty average and it's super quick to apply. I have no problem painting my nails in the living room around my family because the smell is hardly noticeable  It's a great consistency for painting, because I find my old red was too thick to apply smoothly. As with the drying, it's much better than my $12.00 pot of red, which is so thick and slow-drying it gets bumpy really easily.


One coat
Two coats before top coat.

Thanks for reading! xo Courtney

No comments :

Post a Comment